Ludlow Castle & Ludlow
Ludlow Castle was begun in the late 11th century as the border stronghold of one of the Marcher Lords, Roger Lacy. It was enlarged into a magnificent palace in the 14th century by Roger Mortimer, the the most powerful man in England. In the next century it became a royal palace and Edward IV sent the Prince of Wales and his brother (later the 'Princes in the Tower') to live at the castle, which was then the seat of government for Wales and the Border Counties. It was abandoned in the late 17th century and the ruins were purchased from the Crown in 1811 by the 2nd Earl of Powis in whose family it remains. There is an annual festival throughout Ludlow in late June centred on an open air performance of Shakespeare in the castle and a fringe of other activities around the town.
Ludlow is now a thriving market town, with a recent reputation for fine food and produce, boasting three award winning restaurants and some fine specialist food as well as antique shops for which the town has always been known.
The sounds of great feasts and entertainments echo down the centuries in the great vaulted hall at Stokesay Castle. The house has been virtually unchanged since Lawrence of Ludlow, the town's foremost wool trader, built it in the 13th century. He might almost still be sitting here among his family and guests while his servants bear dishes and ply the company freely with wine and ale on some high holiday.
The castle is, in fact, a fortified manor house, built more as a status symbol than with defence in mind. No-one felt the need to extend or replace much over the years, and so the shuttered windows, the Jacobean panelling, and the projecting timber of the upper storey are all intact. There is a taped guided tour and the Castle is open most days from 10am.
This delightful Elizabethan stone manor house c.1587 is between Delbury and historic Much Wenlock. Interesting Rococco and Gothic plasterwork by TF Pritchard. Stone walled garden, medieval dovecote and parish church dating from late Saxon period.
A family home, open on Thursdays & Bank Holiday Sundays & Mondays.
Taking its name from the magnificent bridge across the river Severn, which was cast in local factories and erected in 1779, Ironbridge now has a wealth of museums and sites devoted to the early days of the industrial revolution. A big draw for adults and children
Perched on a rock above late 17th century garden terraces, this mediaeval castle contains the finest country house collection in Wales. Built around 1200 by Welsh Princes, it has been owned by successive generations of Herberts and Clives. The gardens are of the highest horticultural and historic importance and the Clive Museum displays treasures from India. Open Weds - Sun during the summer and daily in July and August.
The Severn Valley Railway
The Severn Valley Railway runs from Bridgnorth (13 miles from Delbury) to Kidderminster via Bewdley and has some wonderful steam trains and events for enthusiasts and children - Thomas the Tank Engine is often to be seen. Also, guided tours of the locomative works by arrangement, Sunday lunches on the train and many other attractions.